Thursday, June 10, 2010

Swim Trunks


Yesterday after swim practice, Mister and I had our daily tug-o-war over the importance of dry clothes. He does not mind being wet and will stay in soggy trunks all day if allowed. Once we let him wade in the lake in long pants. He happily played for hours until we finally pulled him out. And last week at Disneyland, Dad watched him hold his tootsies under a waterfall on Tom Sawyer’s Island. When we finally undressed him half a day later his toes were completely wrinkled. So yesterday I got out my script for another round of ‘the usual’.

“Mister, please take off your wet suit in the bathroom.”
“I dun’t want to.”
“It is cold, and we are going to track practice soon. You need to put on dry clothes.”
“It is not wet.” He said, looking me in the eye with water running in little streams down his legs.
“I will not ask you again.”
“O-tay. I am going to hide my bathing suit somewhere no one will find it.”

Today was busy and I warned the kids that we would have to make a quick change to make it to lessons at 2:30. At 2:29 I found Mister standing naked in his room.
“Where is your suit?” I yelled. “I told you we were in a hurry today!”
“I dunno.”
“What do you mean you don’t know?”
“I tan’t find it.”
Suddenly I remembered our conversation from the previous day. I stomped around his room to no avail. He was successful, and had to wear last year’s trunks to the pool.

No comments:

Post a Comment