Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Previews


This morning Sis approached my husband in the wee hours with a request to watch 101 Dalmatians. “Can we watch this movie, Dad? The real one comes out next Thanksgiving, but we could just watch the DVD for now.” He laughed. Our children live in a perpetual Disney time warp, watching previews for things that already happened. They often make comments like, “I can’t wait until summer. That is when The Little Mermaid is coming.” I try to reason with them, citing the compelling evidence that they have already watched Ariel make a deal with the Sea Witch 217 times. It is no use. Repeatedly, while holding the genuine article in her hand, Sis announces her anticipation of its debut.

And I am reminded. Looking backwards can be very confusing. And disorienting. Grace covers yesterday. And there is grace enough for this day too. Grace to lift my chin and move forward, dimming the haunting ‘previews’ of the movies I have already made.

“Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.” Lamentations 3:22-23

No comments:

Post a Comment