Thursday, July 1, 2010

Wings


Today Mister walked to and from our destination in his dragon costume. Before we were at the end of the street, Sis was complaining, “Mister, don’t spit on me!” He calmed reminded her that he was only breathing fire and showed her his claws.

A woman we met along the way bent down to meet him eye to eye. “My, you are a scary little dragon,” she cooed. He nodded, blinked and then started spinning in circles. “Ya, and you know what? You know what? You know that I am a dragon and sometimes when it is windy outside, when I look out the window and it is windy I put on my dragon jacket and, and, and,” he stopped spinning and looked her in the eye, “I go outside and I can fly. Yup.” Continuous nodding for emphasis.

I smiled the whole way home, mindful of the breeze at my back, gently lifting my soul off the ground. Tomorrow morning when I pray I am going to ask God for a dragon jacket: soft, padded fleece to keep me warm; hood with googly-eyes and huge nostrils so that I can see and smell danger; felt teeth and claws for nashing, which inevitably happens; and shiny green wings for flying.

“But those who wait upon God get fresh strength. They spread their wings and soar like eagles. They run and don't get tired. They walk and don't lag behind.” Isaiah 40:31 (Msg)

No comments:

Post a Comment